COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AT THE MONTHLY CONGRESS OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS (NUJ), ONDO STATE COUNCIL, HELD AT THE PRESS CENTRE, ALAGBAKA-AKURE ON THURSDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER, 2020.
After extensive deliberation, the Congress took the following decisions:
1. That the Congress commends the recent launching of Ondo NUJ Taskforce against Quackery & fake journalists, noting that all members should back the Taskforce to protect our profession’s integrity. Tola Gbadamosi and Omobomi Oguntolu were appointed by the congress to join the taskforce.
2. That media professionals especially journalists should always exhibit high level of professionalism and be objective in discharging their duties before, during and after the October 10 governorship election in Ondo state. Journalists who will be covering the election are also advised to be security conscious.
3. That the Union urges INEC, Security agencies and other stakeholders to conduct fair, credible and acceptable governorship election in Ondo state as demonstrated recently in Edo state governorship election.
4. That the Congress is fully in support of the recent decisions of NUJ NEC and NLC NEC in rejecting recent obnoxious hike in fuel price and electricity tariff, insisting that the government’s economic policies have negatively affected purchasing power and livelihood of workers and the masses.
5. That Ondo NUJ tasks security agencies and Amotekun Corps to up their games against criminal activities particularly kidnapping and destruction of farms in recent time around Akoko/Owo/Akure/Ifedore axis of Ondo state.
Communiqué Drafting Committee:
1. Tola Gbadamosi (Owena Press)
2. Isaac Afolabi (FRCN Positive FM)
3. Omolayo Monehin (LG Information)