Insecurity: Up your games against kidnappers in S/west —NUJ tells Amotekun
Dec 21, 2020
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE SOUTH WEST ZONAL MEETING OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS (NUJ), ZONE B, HOSTED BY EKITI STATE COUNCIL ON SUNDAY, DECEMBER 20, 2020.
The meeting was Presided over by the Vice President, zone B Comrade Cosmas Olalekan Oni and attended by the National Trustee, Zonal secretary, chairmen and secretaries of the zone.
Critical issues affecting the six states of the South West zone and Journalists working in the zone were deliberated upon and the following resolutions were made:
1. That a three man committee be set up to resolve issues that led to litigation in Oyo Council. The committee which comprises of Comrade Rotimi Ojomoyela (Ekiti Council Chairman ), Adetona Aderoboye (Ondo Council Chairman) and Wasiu Ajadosu (Osun Council Chairman) was given three weeks to submit its report.
2. The zone raises the alarm on the increasing rate of banditry and kidnapping in the south West region.
3. That all the roads in the South West region including the federal ones be rehabilitated as many of them are in deplorable condition.
4. The union tasks the South West Security outfit otherwise known as Operation Amotekun to brace up on the issue of insecurity in the region in order to bring an end to the menace, which is already ravaging the region, while the government also equip members of the corps for efficient service delivery.
5. Nigerians were urged to always comply with all COVID 19 precautions, while the federal government should also fast track actions on the provision of COVID 19 vaccines.
6. The Federal government is enjoined to remove tariff from newsprint to make newspaper production easy.
7. All state councils are urged to pay their check off dues regularly to both the National and Zonal offices.
8. All union properties are to be audited in line with the decision of the National Executive Council (NEC) of the union in due course.
9. The union commends the Ekiti State government for supporting Ekiti State council on the successful hosting of the zonal meeting.
10. The union expresses appreciation to the President of the union, Chief Chris Isiguzo for creating an enabling environment that led to the peaceful elections in Oyo, Osun, Lagos and Ekiti Councils.