THE COMMUNIQUÉ ISSUED AT THE END OF THE MONTHLY CONGRESS OF THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS (NUJ), ONDO STATE COUNCIL HELD ON THURSDAY 29TH OCTOBER, 2020 AT THE PRESS CENTRE, ALAGBAKA-AKURE
After extensive deliberations, the following decisions were taken;
1. That the Union admonishes Nigerians to be wary of increasing spread of Fake News on social media that are capable of causing unrest in the nation.
2. That Ondo NUJ urges media organizations and journalists to sustain and maintain core values, principles and ethics of the profession especially in the face of assault and official intimidation. The Congress declares full support for all steps by the National Secretariat of NUJ and media stakeholders to defend media outfits wrongly fined by NBC in the wake of #EndSars protest/Lekki shooting.
3. That the Congress recognises the fundamental rights of citizens to peaceful protest but totally condemned the attendant violence and arsons of notable public, private and political properties in Ondo State after hoodlums hijacked #EndSARS peaceful protest.
4. That the Union encourages the security agents in Ondo state not to relent but step up their games to ensure adequate security of lives and properties.
5. That Ondo NUJ advises those with genuine grievances against the defunct SARS and police brutality should channel same to the Judicial Panel constituted by Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu and recommendations should be well implemented while adequate compensation should be made for victims.
6. That the Congress appeals to the Ondo state government to be more proactive in handling waste usually littering streets in the state to prevent epidemic among residents.
7. That the Congress felicitates with one of our Senior members from the Ondo State Radiovision Corporation (OSRC) Mr Sunday Ajongbolo on his retirement from the active public service, wishing him the best in his future endeavours.
4. That the Congress approves that the State Press Week Celebration should hold by December Sunday 13th – Friday 18th, 2020 and urges all members to support the Press Week Committee headed by Bisi Longe to organise another memorable event.
*_Communiqué Drafting Committee;_*
1. Abooluwa Famakinwa (State Information chapel)
2. Friday Otabor (Correspondents chapel)
3. Augustine Adeoye (State Information chapel).